Tuesday, October 27, 2015

...And then there was a bookstore!

After all of the hard work, stress, and tears, the end product is beautiful. The Neverending Bookshop is open! This last Saturday was my opening and the store was hopping. Sunday was quieter but I expected that. Saturday was launch day. All of my friends and family were there, and Sunday was all community and some friends.

It was so special and spectacular to unlock the door to my own store. To vacuum and wipe down the bathroom and open the door to customers. Customers for my space! How incredible to take care of my own shop, even the not-so-fun chores like vacuuming and bathroom maintenance.

It still doesn't feel quite real. Like I'm dreaming it all, and I'll wake up tomorrow and it will have all been an amazing, vivid dreamscape. I look around my shop and think "these books make this place look like my livingroom." Which says a lot about the state of my house (drowning in books). But people off the street walk in and look around with smiles and say "this looks wonderful, thank goodness you're here! Bothell has needed a bookstore for a really long time."

So as I mentioned before, Saturday was very busy, but the days since have been slow. As I expected. To encourage people in coming by, I'm organizing some events this week! On Thursday at 5 p.m. I'm planning on a crafting meet up. If you have a portable craft, bring it by! Friday at 6 p.m. I'm hoping for nerdy types as I'd love to have a science fiction book group meet here one Friday a month. And Sunday, of course, launches National Novel Writing Month, or Nanowrimo, and I'm hosting write-ins Wednesdays at 5 p.m. and Saturdays and Sundays at 1 p.m., starting this Sunday. I'll be participating this year for the seventh year in a row.

I'm bursting with excitement and happiness now that the store is a physical thing I can work in and on. I have a regular schedule again, which makes me a very happy person. There are still stressful moments (like trying to program a discount into my freaking cash register is like beating my skull against a brick wall...), but now that the store is up and running, I'm so happy that the stress sort of fades to the background.

I hope you come visit me in my new store. It's small, and the shelves are a bit patchy as far as book selection goes, but it's a happy, positive space to spend some time browsing and talking books with me.

3 comments:

  1. I'm coming to the science fiction book group later today! Can't wait to meet like-minded readers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to hear about your bookstore! I'll be attending one of your NaNoWriMo events later this month. Do you have a Twitter account or Facebook page I can follow?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do! If you search The Neverending Bookshop on facebook, my store should pop up. There's one other that might, but they're in South Africa. ^_^ And I have a dragon logo. And my Twitter handle is @nvrendingbkshop. See you at the write-in! Good luck with Nano! ^_^

    ReplyDelete