Tuesday, September 1, 2015

Building a bookstore

I'm finding, as with most things, it is taking a village to open a bookstore.

Let me back up. I am opening a bookstore! And soon! Probably in October! I'm so so excited to be able to write this news for all to read and rejoice in. For a long while I could only be excited around a select few. But now that I've given notice at my current job and I have a location, I feel safe in sharing this news with the world.

And what news it is! At the same time, I am completely exhausted and find myself a bit panicky, sort of like a small excited animal that isn't sure if it's happy or terrified. My days are full of to-do lists that look like:

*get business license
*call for insurance
*bookcases?!
*how much toilet paper for store bathroom?
*FINANCING

No joke. These lists go on and on for miles, and I still don't feel like I'm getting everything done. I'm working hard at staying organized, and as a fairly Type A control freak, that's been semi-easy.

But it's really the village around me that is getting me through the panicky, hyperventilating moments in this process. Numerous people - including but not limited to my parents, my sister, my husband, my two bestest friends, all of my friends at work, friends in my life and on facebook, my dog and cats (cuddles totally help in panicked moments!), and random people I'm encountering on this amazing journey - have pitched in with their loving words, enthusiasm, and kind offers of help. I can't believe I've actually followed my dream all the way to this point, on the cusp of opening. I could not have done it with all of you. If you're reading this, that means you!

No comments:

Post a Comment